The engineer should provide inspection commensurate with the application. Good practices would include inspection and verification with regard to the following items:
- The correct pipe is installed (see numerical code printed on pipe).
- Meets specified pipe grade and alignment.
- All embedment materials meet specifications.
- Proper pipe storage and handling procedures, including:
- pipe placement in trench
- minimum bend radius
- attachment of mechanical joints, fittings and appurtenances
- transitions to other pipes.
- scratches or gouges do not exceed permitted depth.
- In the case of large diameter gravity pipes (gasket joined), inspection for deflection by pulling a mandrel through the pipe or direct measurements of the pipe vertical diameter.
- In the case of pressure pipes, leak testing (results recorded).